Saturday, December 12, 2009

I think I'm accident prone



So my latest injury happened about a month ago at the swimming pool. I had just hopped in to swim my warm-up and was nearing the wall for a flip turn. When I flipped, my heal clipped the side of the wall and sliced me clean and deep! I didn't think twice about it and kept swimming until the end of my set. When I was done, I stood up and felt down toward the pain coming from my heal. I didn't expect my fingers to slip into the slit that was now oozing out bright red blood!

I hobbled over to the guard station where they bandaged me up. Oh did it looked disgusting! There was no doubt I needed stitches. I drove myself over to the nearest insta-care facility. The nurse had me sit on the bed and took off my bandages (which were soaked and stained in blood). The doctor came in with a giant needle (no joke, at least three for four inches). She proceeded to jab straight into my gaping wound. This is when I started to freak and instantly pulled my foot away!

The other nurse had to come in and lay over my waist line (one to keep my eyes off what was going on, and two, to hold me down!). The doctor proceeded to probe my foot with the hell maker. I twisted and clinched with every jab! OOHHHHH the PAIN!!!! I have never been subject of such torture! I was moaning, shouting, and cussing at such volumes that other staff began peaking in to see what was going on.

When she was finished, I was so pale and sweaty. They gave me a cold rag for my head and told me to lay down. I was exhausted! After a few minutes, the numbing medication kicked in and the doctor continued with the stitching. I guess with all the nerve endings at the base of your foot, it makes it extra sensitive, as I found out.

I had to walk on my toes for the next few weeks but am finally back to normal. Swimming will never be the same :-(

No comments: