Sunday, November 30, 2008

Back to Buenos Aires


Getting some fresh juice at the San Telmo Market


One of the many groups of walking dogs... I think their walker was getting some water.


Creepy cat in the Recoleta Cemetery (they are all over!)

Street performer at the San Telmo Market
Plaza de Mayo in the Mircocentro

Our very hot and humid Thanksgiving feast up on the Terraza


Cutting up our Argentinean Steak (we decided to trade in the Turkey)


Standing outside my bedroom


The past week has been a rough ride, but now things are starting to get back to normal. It was so nice to be able to travel home for the weekend and be with all my family. It was a sad time, but it was spent cherishing the memories of the man that brought us all together, Grandpa. I cant explain to you the amazing bond my family has. When we get together, for better or for worse, we always have a good time. Even with the tears and sorrow over Grandpa, we were able to have a memorable time.

My three night, four day visit was a quick reminder of the things I really need to enjoy on vacation before I head home. One of them being the heat. Arriving back in Buenos Aires, the high temperature was well over 10 degrees warmer than before I left along with high humidity. It was a welcoming surprise!

I was also able to enjoy the company of Kristen, Whitney, and Natalie, my Utah friends who arrived in the city while I was home, as well as our friend Emilie from California, whom we all met in Ecuador. Two days after I arrived, I headed back to the airport to pick up my sister Stephanie who will be traveling with me for the next two weeks.

As if I didn't eat enough while I was home, I had the opportunity to host Thanksgiving Dinner at my house here in Buenos Aires. It was by far the hottest and most humid night yet. We were all covered in a nice glaze of sweat sitting up on the terrace enjoying great food and the night sky. I made Mashed Potatoes for the first time ever with a white bacon gravy, and I must say they were pretty darn tasty! Instead of Turkey we decided to order steak, after all we are in Argentina. I had the privilege to slice and dice the meat, being the man of the house, and we all dug in to our various dishes. It was such a good time!

Today we are in San Telmo for the antique market. I really wanted to bring Steph here so she could enjoy the excitement of all the shopping and street performers. Weather permitting we are going to try and make the polo game tonight. The past day it has been raining quite a bit, so we don't know if it will be on or not. I guess we will keep our fingers crossed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want those mashed potatoes! Put that on your to-do list. :-)

Cortney said...

Dev, I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. Isn't it great how families can just pull together? Sounds like you had a fun Thanksgiving...I spent mine with my friends making a gingerbread house! haha LOVE YA!!!

Anonymous said...

There are so many groups of walking dogs in Buenos Aires!!!
I saw them everyday near my Buenos Aires apartment, but it was only for two minutes.