Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires has been the perfect location to spend my last few weeks of travel. The city is made of up 40 plus barrios, each having their own unique characteristics. I have spent the last few nights in the area called San Telmo. This area is know for their antique shops and the weekly Sunday market.

The San Telmo market is so crazy! They close down the entire street, nearly the whole length of San Telmo. There are bands, performers, artisans, and food vendors amongst other things. It´s a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon browsing around and people watching. When the sun goes down, the dancing gets intense. Tango, African, and other type of dancers are everywhere and the crowd is encouraged to join. It´pretty much one big dance party!

Most of the day, I have been enjoying one of the many parks/gardens, walking around the ecological reserve, or catching up in my travel journal at a corner cafe. It really can´t get anymore relaxing. I also purchased a month pass at a indoor swimming pool. I would love to run on the river or through the parks, but my foot has been ridiculous lately so swimming is my next best alternative.

Shopping is another topic in itself... I have never been to a city where I love everything I see... its bad! Buenos Aires is honestly the best city for shopping I have ever been to. There are so many boutiques that design their own clothes. Everything is unique and exceptional. The prices aren´t exactly cheap but they aren´t unreasonable either.

Today I moved into a barrio called Palermo Hollywood. I am living with a host family that has a beautiful antique home in one of the hippest areas of Buenos Aires. My room has french doors that lead out to a cobblestone patio full of flowers and plants. Upstairs, there is a large open air terrace and art studio where my host mom, Nora, teachers painting classes. We also have a large, but very friendly dog named Moto. I am so excited to settle in and enjoy this city for a few more weeks.

However, yesterday my grandfather passed away... He was in decent health before I left, but I didn´t think such a thing would happen while I was gone. But I guess God takes us when he wants us, and there is nothing else we can do about it. Fortunately, I will be able to attend his funeral thanks to assistance from my traveler´s insurance.

It will be good to go home and be there to support my family and especially my grandmother. My grandfather was a great man that always loved to be working on some type of project. He was very hardworking and taught me many things. I am grateful for his example and love he showed to me throughout his life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I'm glad you will be able to go back for the funeral. Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Im so sorry bud. I wish i could be there in person for ya. Send my love to your family.