Tuesday, October 7, 2008

9 hours later





After an intense ride through the steep mountain passes of the Ecuadorian Andes, I arrived in the coastal city of Manta. The nine hour journey was filled with countless switchbacks, near misses of oncoming cars/buses, and great views of the mountain drop-offs we were teetering. The bus drivers in Ecuador are down right crazy! I can´t imagine having their job, but at least they seem to enjoy it. We were whipping around the mountain passes so fast that some of the passengers couldn´t hold in their lunch! I was lucky enough to only get away with a small headache from the twists and turns. Luckily, we arrived in Manta safe and sound.

Manta has just under 200,000 people and is a drastic change from the mass chaos of Quito. I do, however, miss my host parents, Susana and Marco. I really thought of them more as my grandparents than anything. Such a nice couple. They did tell me, ¨Mi casa es tu casa¨ and to call them when I get back in town from Argentina. So I am planning on officially telling them goodbye at the tail end of my trip.

My new host family is much younger. Javier and Dana are a young couple (the same age as my oldest sister Kami, 35) with three kids, 2 girls and a boy. They both work during the day and a maid (Maria) comes to cook the meals and do the cleaning, laundry, etc... I heard before arriving in Manta that the costal people like to talk.. alot! Maria is solid proof of this stereotype. She has attitude and loves to be in conversation. So I love to sit and talk with her, it is such good practice! Except much of the time she speaks so fast I get lost in her words. So I have to tell her to slow down.

One of the girls reminds me so much of my niece Amber. She is turning eleven on Saturday and is so excited about it. Today at lunch she was joking around with me and helping me with my Spanish.

Yesterday I had my first day of class in Manta. I was so worried because I was pretty much the only student in the school! But today I had class in the morning and it was filled with many people. What a great relief!

So my foot is still causing me stress! I am so fed up with it. I really don´t know what else to do. I can´t play soccor, volleyball or go for a run on the beach! Its driving me crazy! I am halfway tempted to find a Shawman and have him work his magic. Natalie and Kristen want to can go to the market in Iquitos, Peru (where they sell many strange things from the Amazon such as medicine, fruit, animals, etc..) and find a cure.

I guess I will just hope for the best.

devin

3 comments:

alan shoemaker said...

what's wrong with your foot?
I'm Alan Shoemaker here in Iquitos, I can help you.
Morona 531 phone: 224987

Anonymous said...

Devin! I just found your blog! I am so happy that I can keep up with your adventures now! And I'm pleased that you are staying with someone named Dana (I have a sneaky suspicion it's a woman, though). I can't wait to see what you do next. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Ugh, i cant imagine doing that on a big bus. I remember us doing it in Costa Rica, but we were in control in our own car. I would not have faired well on that bus ride. Props to you bud. Im sure youll get settled in just fine there. And as for your foot, i should find out tonight what my mom says and maybe i could even mail it if it doesnt take 12 years for it to arrive. Ill let ya know. Good to hear from you today! :-) Talk to you soon.