Sunday, October 19, 2008

Moving on









Its goodbye Manta, hello Cuenca! So I am on my way to Cuenca, with a stop in the country's capital, Guayaquil. What a beautiful city it is! They have an a amazing boardwalk along the river that runs the whole length of downtown. It is filled with shops, gardens, and an occasional cafe. I spent all of last night covering the entire thing!

The boardwalk ends at the bottom of a small hill community know as Las PeƱas. There are stairs that lead all the way through the colorful houses and cafes up to a quaint church and lighthouse. Supposedly this is where they used to fire cannons to protect Guayaquil from pirates. They still have some on display, which are still fired for certain holidays.

My last night in Manta, I made my family dinner, well kind of. I decided to make crepes, so I guess it was more breakfast than anything. They loved them! I wish I had photos to show, but my camera is having difficulties at the moment. I am hoping I just need a new battery, because cameras down here are about twice as much as they are in the States! I will keep my fingers crossed.

So I decided it was about time to take my chances getting my hair cut. I have been afraid of it being butchard with no mercy, however, I found a great salon in Manta that did an awesome job! I was so impressed! And all for a grand total of $5!!! I told my teacher at school just how much I paid, and he thought it was far too expensive for just a hair cut. He said he doesn't pay over $1.50. I think if I had his hair style, I would be better off cutting my own hair and saving the $1.50 :-)

I will try and post some pictures soon...

2 comments:

N said...

Glad you are doing just that. Hope its better than manta.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha. I am glad you got a good haircut. Sometimes I feel like I could do I better job than the hairdresser, too. Good luck with the camera!