Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A great weekend retreat








After spending a week in Manta, I was ready for some excitement. The students at this school aren´t really social and for the most part keep to themselves. So I spend my days at the beach or swimming some laps at the pool, which sounds nice but not so much when your doing it alone. So Friday after class I was bound and determined to get out of here!





I caught the first bus heading south and planned on staying the night in Puerto Lopez. Reading about this town in my travel books, it sounded so quaint and picture perfect. I soon found it was the total opposite. I had never seen so much trash along the side of the streets! All the roads were tore up and most of the buildings were falling apart. It was such a surprise since this was a hot spot for tourists to view Humpback Whales during their mating season (which just ended).





I tried to make the best of it, but didn´t have much luck. The people at my hostel were again anti-social and didn´t seem to have much spirit about them. I was in desperate need of some interaction, so I went on a stroll of the boardwalk (by myself) and enjoyed a few batidos or milkshakes made from fresh fruit.





Sleeping was the next problem. The mosquito's were on a mission to terrorize! Laying there with a mosquito net over my body didn´t give me a warm fuzzy feeling of comfort, rather that of claustrophobia. I managed to prop the pillows just right so I had a sort of canopy going on. Let´s just say, I really didn´t get much sleep.





The next morning I walked down to an American owned cafe where I enjoyed some banana pancakes. I really needed a taste of home to keep me going at that point. The cafe was right on the beach, and it was pleasant watching the fisherman come to shore with their morning catch. After breakfast, I packed up and headed out for Montañita. I was desperate to see Natalie and Kristen!





From the moment I stepped off the bus, I knew I was going to love Montañita! The streets were packed with young Ecuadorians, and there was music echoing from the beach. I arrived a few hours before the girls (who were traveling 7 hours from a city in southern Ecuador) and decided to check out the town. There were so many hippies, surfers, gringos, etc... this town had it all. Strolling down the beach, I was surprised to find my friend Robert from England, what a small world. He and I both traveled the Galapagos together.





Around three in the afternoon, the girls arrived and the rest of the weekend was spent in bliss. The ocean water was so refreshing and amazingly clean! Natalie and I spent most of the time body surfing or just rolling in the oncoming waves. It was heaven! Some of the others spent some time surfing and did quite well. I wish I could have been out there with them, but my foot is still in shambles.





Sunday night was a cool experience. Ecuador was playing Chile in soccor and the whole town was watching. We grabbed a table at a corner restaurant, and joined in with the mass for an amazing showdown. It was so surreal. Ecuador ended up winning 2-0.





It was an great weekend (minus Puerto Lopez) that I desperately needed to get me through this next week. Now its back to studying Español.

2 comments:

N said...

I really want those sunglasses you are wearing. I'm thinking they should be mine.

Cortney said...

You guys look like you are having so much fun together! I wish I was coming to visit!! I am sorry to hear about your hostle though. They aren't much better in Australia, most people are ending up with bed bugs! AH!! I am loving your blog though! Loves!!